Assistant Content Production Editor
Asheville, NC | Remote eligible
Do you have a razor-sharp eye for detail? Do you find satisfaction in solving puzzles or math problems? Do inconsistencies in text or graphics make you shudder? If so, we want to talk to you about joining the production team at Soomo!
Soomo Learning’s production team performs the rigorous, complex work of preparing all of our content for publication. Our thorough production processes—from coding to copyediting to QA—are essential to providing a smooth learning experience for the busy students who rely on our courseware. The Assistant Content Production Editor works closely with other members of the production team in following established processes to enforce Soomo standards and style.
This is a remote-eligible position. Currently, the following states have been approved for remote work outside of our headquartered state of North Carolina: AZ, CO, GA, IN, MA, NM, NV, NY, OR, RI, SC, TN, TX, and VT.
- Assisting with the production and publication of our courseware; this includes (but is not limited to):
- coding custom features using markup languages like HTML
- testing functionality on web and mobile
- checking content for accessibility
- Reviewing and correcting webtext content—including text, tables, charts, figures, and embedded videos—to ensure quality, integrity, and conformity to Soomo editorial policies, accessibility standards, and style standards
- Juggling multiple projects and tasks while maintaining a cool head under deadline pressure
- Using various communication tools (Slack, Zoom, Google Docs comments, carrier pigeon, etc.) to coordinate with other Soomoans on a daily basis
This is an entry-level, full-time position in a small, collegial company. Because we are nimble and constantly innovating, our daily work varies, and we are learning more every term about how to better support students. The one thing that doesn’t change is our commitment to radically improving the college course experience for tens of thousands of students each year.
Because this is an entry-level position, aptitude and enthusiasm matter more than experience. We’re looking for someone with an interest in both the technical and editorial aspects of our work; the ability to comprehend, follow, and help expand detailed documentation on standards, processes, and protocols; and the wherewithal to perform complex, detail-oriented work under tight deadlines.
The following skills and attributes are highly desired:
- A bachelor’s degree in any discipline
- An ability to produce error-free work in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong technical skills and an eagerness to learn new technologies and incorporate new skills and knowledge into daily work
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- A willingness to ask questions
Bonus points if you have familiarity with:
- HTML, XML, JSON, YAML, or other markup or programming languages
- Multi-cursor tools
- Apple products
- Business applications such as Slack, Jira, Asana, Trello, Height
- Editorial/production work (copyediting, proofreading, graphic design, etc.)
Compensation and benefits
- Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience ($19–$23 per hour)
- Three weeks of paid time off per year plus 10 paid holidays
- 100% employer-paid health, vision, disability, and life insurance
- 401K plan with 4% match
Soomo is committed to protecting the health and well-being of our employees, and we have been closely monitoring data on the coronavirus pandemic since the beginning of 2020. We have safety protocols in place for those who wish to work in the office.
How to apply
If you feel this opportunity is a great match for your skills and passions, please submit your résumé and a cover letter explaining why you think Soomo would be a good fit for you.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Soomo Learning is most definitely an equal opportunity employer; we want applicants from diverse backgrounds. Throughout the hiring process, applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, gender, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.