Asheville, NC | Remote eligible
Do you enjoy explaining difficult concepts so that others can understand them? Are you passionate about making a college education possible for all students? If so, we want to talk to you about developing custom learning resources at Soomo.
As Curriculum Specialist, you will work with Soomo’s custom development team to create webtexts that serve as the primary learning resource for college courses. Reporting to the Director of Custom Development, the Curriculum Specialist will help design, develop, and revise digital textbooks that are customized to align with course outcomes specified by partner institutions.
This is a remote eligible position. Currently, the following states have been approved for remote work outside of our headquartered state of North Carolina: CO, GA, IN, NM, NY, OR, RI, SC, TN, TX, and VT.
The overarching responsibility of the Curriculum Specialist is to create the best possible webtexts for supporting student learning. This requires a deep understanding of the specific concepts and skills to be covered in a course as well as the learning obstacles faced by non-majors taking general education courses. In collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, the Curriculum Specialist will develop content, assessments, and webtext features that effectively support students in meeting specified course outcomes.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Analyzing and evaluating course outcomes and learning objectives
- Consulting with subject-matter experts and conducting research to determine the relevant concepts and skills to be included in a course
- Designing instructional content and assessments to effectively scaffold learning experiences
- Writing and editing expository text that aligns with course goals and provides a cohesive learning experience
- Composing pedagogically effective questions in a variety of formats (multiple choice, short answer, etc.) to help students check their understanding of key points throughout a course
- Coordinating development of new technical features for specific pedagogical purposes
- Effectively managing development timelines to meet our rigorous production deadlines and publishing goals
- Ensuring that all content meets our high standards of instructional quality, audience sensitivity, and reader engagement
- Monitoring webtext performance and recommending data-driven revisions to improve student learning
This is a full-time position in a small, collegial company. Because we are nimble and constantly innovating, our daily work varies. The one thing that doesn’t change is our commitment to radically improving the college course experience for hundreds of thousands of students each year.
The following skills and attributes are required for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- 5+ years of experience in contributing to or managing curriculum development projects in higher education
- Track record of successfully applying learning design and instructional strategies in online learning environments
- Ability to think critically about tasks and make recommendations that improve the student experience
- Strong copyediting skills with experience conforming to editorial and style standards
- Demonstrated ability to produce error-free work in fast-paced environment
- Strong technical skills using applications such as Google Docs, Word, and Excel; some familiarity with HTML is a plus
- A willingness to ask questions, learn new technologies, and incorporate new skills and knowledge into daily work
- Highly organized and self-motivated with exceptional initiative, attention to detail, and commitment to excellence
- Ability to successfully manage and optimize projects and processes
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Bonus points if you have:
- Insight into where students struggle in intro-level general education courses, why they struggle, and how to help
- A solid understanding of the general education experience and curriculum
Compensation and benefits
- Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience ($65–$85K annual salary)
- 15 days of paid time off per year plus 11 paid holidays
- 100% employer-paid health, vision, disability, and life insurance
- 401K plan with 4% match
Soomo is committed to protecting the health and well-being of our employees, and we have been closely monitoring data on the coronavirus pandemic since the beginning of 2020. We have safety protocols in place for those who wish to work in the office.
How to apply
If you feel this opportunity is a great match for your skills and passions, please click “Apply Now” to submit your application through our recruiting partner, Teamed.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Soomo Learning is most definitely an equal opportunity employer; we want applicants from diverse backgrounds. Throughout the hiring process, applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, gender, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.