Instructor Support Specialist
Asheville, NC | Remote eligible
Do you enjoy making a list and checking it twice? Are you someone who anticipates problems and works proactively to solve them? Do your friends think you have incredible empathy? If so, we want to talk to you about joining our Customer Success team as an Instructor Support Specialist!
The Customer Success team at Soomo provides onboarding, implementation, support, and account management for the institutions, instructors, and students who use our courseware. We strive to make onboarding and implementation as smooth as possible for each customer while also upholding best practices and offering support to help them meet their goals for learning outcomes.
Each term, instructor support specialists ensure that Soomo’s courseware is carefully configured to align with the learning goals of each course so that instructors and their students have the best learning experience possible. Instructor support specialists also function as internal advocates for our customers in order to coordinate all departments around improving customer success.
- Prepare courseware for student use by tailoring webtext content to course specifications
- Offer best practices for teaching with our courseware
- Proactively seek ways to improve educators’ use of our courseware
- Provide instructors with customized reports of student activity to assess course outcomes
- Analyze student-use data from surveys and reports
- Answer and clarify instructors’ questions and help set expectations
- Provide support for instructors via email and phone
- Develop training materials for faculty and students
- Assist with QA of new courseware features
This is an entry-level, full-time position in a small, collegial company. Because we are nimble and constantly innovating, our daily work varies as we learn more every term about how to better support students. The one thing that doesn’t change is our commitment to radically improving the college course experience for tens of thousands of students each year.
The following skills and attributes are highly desired:
- Bachelor’s degree in any discipline
- 2+ years of experience in customer support, event planning, teaching, or tutoring
- Willingness to take ownership of the courseware support process balanced with a readiness to benefit from the experience we’ve gained over the last several years in how to build and support exceptional courseware
- Ability to empathetically engage with educators’ pain points
- Ability to use organizational strategies effectively to manage tasks and meet deadlines
- Capacity to adapt to rapidly evolving projects and priorities
- Ability to analyze data on student and instructor usage patterns, and an inquisitive spirit for finding anomalies and chasing down explanations
- Natural curiosity, willingness to solve problems, and eagerness to work with faculty who may be new to active learning courseware and analytics-driven intervention
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills with no fear of asking questions
Because we create and support online applications, we use numerous web-based tools in our internal processes, and so a certain degree of familiarity with modern digital technology is assumed.
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience designing customer-facing materials such as flyers, slide decks, and screencasts
- Tutoring or teaching experience with adult learners (working as a TA, adjunct instructor, advisor, coach, etc.)
- Insight into where students struggle in intro-level courses, why they struggle, and how to help
- Familiarity with Slack, Intercom, Process Street, Height, and/or other business applications
Compensation and benefits
- Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience ($21–$29 per hour)
- Three weeks of paid time off per year, plus 10 paid holidays
- 100% employer-paid health, vision, disability, and life insurance
- 401K plan with 4% match
- Work-from-home options
- Fantastic office space with mountain/city views, easy parking, and great snacks
Soomo is committed to protecting the health and well-being of our employees, and we have been closely monitoring data on the coronavirus pandemic since the beginning of 2020. We have safety protocols in place for those who wish to work in the office.
How to apply
If you feel this opportunity is a good match for your skills and interests, please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why you think Soomo would be a good fit for you.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Soomo Learning is most certainly an equal opportunity employer, and we are actively seeking applicants from diverse backgrounds. Throughout the hiring process, candidates for all roles are considered without regard to race, gender, religion, ethnicity, disability, age, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.