Student Support Specialist
Are you a people person? Do you enjoy solving students’ problems and helping them succeed? Got a knack for explaining technology in clear terms that can be easily understood by almost anyone? If so, we want to talk to you about joining our Customer Success team as a Student Support Specialist!
The Customer Success team at Soomo provides onboarding, implementation, support, and account management for the institutions, instructors, and students who use our courseware. We strive to make onboarding and implementation as smooth as possible for each customer while also upholding best practices and offering support to help them meet their goals for learning outcomes.
Student Support Specialists ensure that students using our courseware are successfully onboarded each term; they also respond to students’ requests for help with technical (and other) issues they encounter with their courseware. In addition, Student Support Specialists function as advocates for students with both internal and external stakeholders to get them the help they need to succeed in their courses.
This is a fully remote position. Currently, the following states have been approved for remote work outside of our headquartered state of North Carolina: AZ, CO, GA, IN, NM, NV, NY, OR, RI, SC, TN, TX, and VT.
- Respond to help requests by phone, email, and online messaging
- Develop expertise with courseware content to assist students with questions
- Document support issues and their resolution
- Coordinate with other departments to clarify and resolve issues
- Assist with development of onboarding materials for students
- Perform QA of courseware and test new features
This is an entry-level, full-time position in a small, collegial company. Because we are nimble and constantly innovating, our daily work varies as we learn more every term about how to better support students. The one thing that doesn’t change is our commitment to radically improving the college course experience for tens of thousands of students each year.
This position is critical to our evening and weekend support services. The work schedule will be four weekdays and one weekend day, 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. ET, with two consecutive days off.
The following skills and attributes are highly desired:
- Bachelor’s degree in any discipline
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, especially over the phone
- Ability to empathetically engage with struggling students
- Ability to explain simply and clearly how to perform tasks and/or use technology
- Experience solving customer problems
- Ability to maintain calm, professional demeanor under pressure
- Proficiency using basic computer software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (or Mac equivalents)
- Experience working remotely
- Comfort with asking questions and collecting new information
Because we create and support web applications, we use numerous online tools in our development process, and a certain amount of familiarity with modern web technology is assumed.
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience in customer support, social work, coaching, or student advising
- Experience with Mac and other Apple products
- Fluency in Spanish or other languages
- Familiarity with Process Street, Height, Confluence, and/or Intercom
- Insight into where students struggle in intro-level courses, why they struggle, and how to help
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience ($19–$25 per hour)
- 15 days of paid time off per year plus 11 paid holidays
- 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- 401K plan with 4% match
Soomo is committed to protecting the health and well-being of our employees, and we have been closely monitoring data on the coronavirus pandemic since the beginning of 2020. We have safety protocols in place for those who wish to work in the office.
How to apply
If you feel this opportunity is a good match for your skills and interests, please submit your résumé and a cover letter explaining why you think Soomo would be a good fit for you.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Soomo Learning is most certainly an equal opportunity employer, and we are actively seeking applicants from diverse backgrounds. Throughout the hiring process, candidates for all roles are considered without regard to race, gender, religion, ethnicity, disability, age, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.